In this post I’m going to show you how to use a Atmega328p-PU as standalone i.e. without using any development board like Arduino. In fact in very similar way you can also use other micro controllers.
To flash custom hex files to a microcontroller, at very first the microcontroller must have bootloader installed. If you bough a spare microcontroller like Atmega328P-PU and it did not came with any bootloader pre-installed, then you can use your Arduino (with pre-installed bootloader) to load bootloader into the blank chip. You can also program your standalone microcontroller chip using Arduino without using any extra Programmer.
Points I will cover
- How to use Atmega328P-PU μC without any development board like Arduino
- How to install bootloader on a blank Atmega328P-PU using Arduino Uno
- How to program Atmega328P-PU using Arduino Uno and without using any AVR Programmer
What you need
- Arduino Uno with bootloader installed
- Atmega328P-PU with/without bootloader
- 10 kΩ resistor x 1
- 220 Ω resistor x 1
- Green 0.5MM LED (you may use any color) x 1
- 16 Mhz Crystal Oscillator x 1
- 22 pF capacitors x 2
- Momentary tactile push button x 1
- Some jumper wires
1. How to use Atmega328P-PU μC without any development board like Arduino
Simply implement this schematic on a breadboard and you gets your standalone Atmega328P-PU ready with minimal components.
Your implementation will be looking like this.
2. How to install bootloader on a blank Atmega328P-PU using Arduino Uno
Remove all the wires and extra components (if any connected) from the Arduino Uno and follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Install Arduino IDE on your computer.
- Step 2: Go to Tools menu -> Port -> choose appropriate port.
- Step 3: Go to Tools menu -> Board -> choose Arduino/Genuino Uno.
- Step 4: Go to Files menu -> Examples -> choose ArduinoISP sketch.
- Step 5: Go to Sketch menu -> Click on Upload.
- Step 6: Make the following connections using jumper wires.
- Connect pin-1 (RST) of breadboard μC to pin-10 on Arduino.
- Connect pin-17 of breadboard μC to pin-11 on Arduino.
- Connect pin-18 of breadboard μC to pin-12 on Arduino.
- Connect pin-19 of breadboard μC to pin-13 on Arduino.
- Connect VCC of breadboard to 5V on Arduino.
- Connect GND of breadboard to GND on Arduino.
- Step 7: Go to Tools menu -> Programmer -> choose Arduino as ISP.
- Step 8: Go to Tools menu -> Click on Burn Bootloader.
Now, bootloader is installed on your Atmega328P-PU and you can use it without any development board.
3. How to program Atmega328P-PU using Arduino Uno and without using any AVR Programmer
- Step 1: Open or create any sketch in Arduino IDE.
- Step 2: Go to Sketch menu -> Click on Upload Using Programmer.
- Step 3: Remove all the connection that were made on Step 6 of above steps to install bootloader.
Congratulations!!! You have just installed a bootloader on a blank Atmega328P-PU and you have also flashed it with your own sketch just using an Arduino Uno without using any AVR Programmer or USB to Serial board.
If you have any query or suggestion, please comment below.
Thank you very much.